Most of our female and male patients who desire a flat stomach enquire about the differences between https://niptuckholidays.com/liposuction/ liposuction, Vaser Liposuction and a Tummy Tuck. For some, even after working hard at the gym and dieting to encourage weight loss, they still can’t gain the desired results of a flat abdominal area.
Both cosmetic surgery procedures can be effective at addressing excess fat of the abdominal area, but they are two entirely different options, attracting different candidates and gaining different results.
Here we outline the key differences between an Abdominoplasty (Tummy Tuck) and Liposuction in achieving a flatter tummy.
Liposuction is a popular cosmetic surgery method for removing stubborn fat deposits that aren’t responsive to diet and exercise in areas such as the abdomen, love handles, thighs, buttocks and arms. This is because it is far less invasive than some plastic surgery procedures, including Abdominoplasty, and can treat multiple areas during the same treatment.
Liposuction also only requires small incisions and patients can avoid general anesthesia and lengthy recovery times.
A Tummy Tuck also known as abdominoplasty, is a procedure designed to remove excess fat and loose skin of the abdominal area. At the same time, the cosmetic procedure allows for the tightening of the abdominal muscles to help create a stronger, flatter stomach.
A Tummy Tuck procedure is performed under general anesthesia. It involves an incision extending across the lower abdomen, typically from hip to hip. The size of the incision largely depending on the amount of correction necessary to achieve the desired results. However, the scar is strategically hidden by the underwear line. Once the excess skin and fat tissue have been removed, the skin is re-draped creating a flatter and tighter abdomen.
The procedure is suitable for those who have experienced dramatic weight loss or several pregnancies.
Key differences between Abdominoplasty and Liposuction
- Issues Addressed: Liposuction aims to remove excess fat cells and offers some degree of skin tightening. Tummy Tuck focuses on the removal of loose skin and excess fat as well as tightening weak abdominal muscles.
- Cost: Liposuction is a more affordable procedure than a tummy tuck as it is less invasive.
- Complexity: As Liposuction only involves small incisions and fat removal, it is a simple procedure when compared to a Tummy Tuck. A Tummy Tuck is more involved as it not only requires skin removal but also tightening and reattachment of the skin to create a visually pleasing abdomen.
- Recovery: The recovery period for Tummy Tuck patients can be 2-4 weeks with some adjustments to exercise and activity for the scar to heal. Liposuction patients experience short downtime with most resuming their normal activities within 2-7 days of the procedure.
- Scarring: Minimal scarring is associated with a Liposuction procedure. Patients who have had a Tummy Tuck will have a larger more obvious scar.
Which cosmetic procedure is better for me?
Both of these procedures can enhance a person’s shape and help them gain a flatter abdomen, but they do address specific issues. For patients with stubborn fat around there abdomen but good skin and muscle tone, Liposuction may be the most appropriate form of treatment. If the abdominal issues are mainly due to excess skin, fat and loose abdominal muscles, undergoing a Tummy Tuck procedure may be the best solution to achieve the desired results.
However, as everyone’s body shape and goals are unique, attending an initial consultation to discuss your expectations is the best way to determine which cosmetic procedure is right for you.